Rosewater has astringent properties and works well as a facial toner. But that’s not all, when it’s combined with witch hazel, rosewater acts as a great cleanser, removing oil and dirt accumulated in clogged pores and thus creating clear skin. If you want to kick it up a notch you can add in Aloe Vera which moisturizes, treats acne and also evens out your skin tone.
What you need:
- A dozen freshly picked organic rose petals
- A measuring cup/small funnel
- A small pot with glass lid
- A small glass bowl
- Distilled water
- A spray bottle
- (optional) Organic Aloe Vera or its juice
- (optional) Witch hazel
- Wash all the flowers and try to find one that’s organic and not synthetically dyed because it is going onto your face.
- Pull the petals off by grabbing the bottom of the bud and separating the petals from the stem; then put all the rose petals on the pot.
- Pour enough water into your pot so that 3/4 of the pot is filled but not too much or else your spray will be watered down. *If you want, now is the time to add the witch hazel and/or Aloe Vera; I recommend you add about 2-3 tablespoons of each*
- Put the bowl inside the pot and put the lid on upside down; this ensures you get the purest form of the rose water.
- Let the water boil for about half an hour or until your petals lose its color. (If you’re impatient like me, put some ice cubes on top of the upside-down lid)
- Once done, pour the liquid from the bowl into your spray bottle with the help of a measuring cup or a funnel.
- You can also pour it into a clean ice cube tray and just rub it onto your face when you feel really hot and grimy.
MAKE SURE TO REFRIDGERATE.This has a shelf-life of about 2-3 week or until it turns into a weird yellow color and starts to smell.
Benefits of using rosewater on your skin: here and here.
1// Sleeping position
Try to sleep on your back rather than your side or stomach. Sleep on two pillows stacked on top of each other. This will decrease the build up of blood flow to your eyes during the night.
Just sleep more! Lack of sleep can lead to under eye bags. Try to go to bed earlier or find ways to keep yourself asleep.
Having a bad diet can affect your under eye circles. Lack of nutrients are the cause of this. Eat your veggies, fruits, vitamins, and drink lots of water! Water can flush out the toxins in your body, helping reduce the look of under eye bags.
You may just have allergies, eczema, or asthma. These things can cause darkness under the eyes due to frequent itching because of irritation. Try to get your allergies treated.
Wearing sunscreen everyday is very important! Make sure you slather some on before you go out. You can also wear it if you’re staying indoors.
6// Home remedies
Here are a few home remedies you can try to reduce those under eye circles.
-Place two slices of cucumber in your freezer for a couple of hours. Take them out of the freezer. Lay down and place one cucumber on each eyelid and stay there for 10-15 minutes.
-Put two spoons in your freezer and leave them in overnight. When you wake up, grab the spoons out of the freezer. Press the underside of the spoon (the side you wouldn’t eat with) gently underneath your eyes and keep them there until the spoons are no longer cold. This will help tighten the skin 🙂
-Take two slices of potato and place them in the freezer for a couple of hours. Take them out and place them one on each eyelid & allow them to stay there for 10-15 minutes.
-Dab a small amount of almond oil on your under eye circles before bed. In the morning rinse it off with cold water.
-Make some tea (preferably black tea). Take the tea bags out of your tea and place them in the freezer to cool down. Put one tea bag on each eyelid and keep them there for 10-15 minutes.
-Dip a cotton ball into some rosewater. Dab the cotton ball all over your eyelids and dark circles. Don’t touch your face for 10 minutes. You don’t have to rinse off the rosewater after the 10 mins.
-Wrap a frozen bag of vegetables in a clean towel and set it down on your eyes for 10-15 minutes.
-Crush up some mint leaves and apply them to your dark circles. Allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes. Wipe off with a clean, damp cloth.